Saturday 20 September 2014

Manning Foster

The Buchanan has several club competitions each year. The Manning Foster Cup is a teams-of-four event, starting with a first round, and followed by a semi-final and a final. Norman and I are playing with John Di Mambro and Maria Jackson, which I think makes us the favourites for the competition, although it must be close with Betty Bell, Peggy Donaldson, Fergus and Lina Kerr. Anyway, the first round was on Wednesday, and we finished a comfortable first place in the qualifiers, with 121 VPs from 9 matches. Betty and Peggy's team were a close second (we beat them by 6 IMPs, for what it's worth, but a 3 board match probably doesn't tell you much). I think we're hot favourites to meet them in the final - the semi is a 24 board match that has been scheduled for a week on Monday.


I thought this was slightly interesting from an ethical perspective. Norman opened 1♦, and North made a 2♠ overcall, *alerted by her partner*. I passed, and South bid 3♣ (not alerted). Norman figured I had a bust, and decided it was a sensible time to stay quiet with his 18 count (I mostly agree), and North bid 3♠, all pass.
Before I led, I asked about 2♠, and South explained that she'd misread it as Lucas, having missed the fact that Norman had opened the bidding. So what's the situation? South clearly is in possession of unauthorised information (her partner didn't alert her 3♠ bid), but on the other hand, 3♠ is impossible if 2♠ was Lucas, so I think she's probably entitled to pass. On the other hand, I think she's probably obliged to explain the situation as soon as she realises what's happened (ie, before she passes 3♠). 

With this information, I'm still not sure Norman is in a position to bid (if he does, I think he just has to guess to bid 3NT).
Note that while I said I agree with Norman that bidding over 3♣ is probably wrong, there are two reasons he might have known something was up. 1. the alert: ok, so a lot of players alert weak 2s when they shouldn't, but that's no reason not to ask, especially when he does genuinely have something to think about (I guess there's a slight worry that if 3♣ is passed round to me, I might have some UI that stops me reopening on marginal hands, but I still think it's right to ask). Second: South had already passed. If South has a passed hand, and North has a NV 2♠ bid, then surely it's unlikely that I've got a complete bust. This isn't quite as clear cut, as South could easily have one (or even, at a push, both) of my kings.

As in so many of these stories, I failed to call the director at the time. I probably should have. In fact, I think I should probably have a rule of just calling the director whenever there's any doubt, but there is that general impression at the club that somehow you're accusing people of something when you do this. Is there a ruling to be made after 3♠ is passed out? How do you think this auction should go? 

Bonus question - can you see how to make 10 tricks in no trumps on the EW cards? 

Edit - I had the wrong hand diagram. Fixed now. In other news, I may learn to proof-read one day, but that has not yet happened... 

6 comments:

  1. John - the hand diagram doesn't seem to match the commentary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I can't remember what happened on the board I had uploaded, or I'd write something about that. I should learn to proofread.

      Delete
  2. North must pass 3C. They have a perfectly described their hand with a weak jump overcall of 2S, South who is a passed hand has converted this to 3C, it might be strange but that is what partner has chosen. If you bid on you are using the UI of the alert.
    3C down 5 or 6 should be the score.

    To make 10 take the second spade, finesse JH and QD, cashing 9 tricks then exit with AK and another club to end play South in diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hadn't even occurred to me that North had unauthorised information. You're right, of course. Not that it ended up mattering too much on the night.

      An alternative route to 10 tricks, I think, is to wait and win the 3rd spade, cash all the hearts, and now South has to find two minor suit pitches - if they're in the same suit, you make 4 tricks in that suit, for 11 tricks. If not, you can duck one round of either minor to set up a 10th trick.

      Not at all clear to me which line is safer.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Angus on making 10 tricks, but maybe a bit risky if you think North might still have a Club? (meaning he only had 5 Spades I think)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea you had a bridge blog John until I noticed this on the GBC website!

    Although I agree with Angus that North has probably used the UI given by his partner's alert of 2S, technically I think South's bid of 3C is forcing even as a passed hand (assuming 2S is indeed a WJO). So it is unclear to me how I would rule....

    More to the point why didn't you make a normal negative double over 2S. regardless of it's meaning?

    Cliff

    ReplyDelete