Monday 22 September 2014

So we had a teams match on Sunday at Martin's house. Rebecca Stephens (the newest addition to the clan, and only 3 weeks old) slept through the whole thing, and so Sally was free to play with Yvonne Wiseman. They teamed up with Phil and Peter Stephens to play against me and Martin and Jake Corry and Alex Wilkinson.

There were a few interesting boards, including one where Martin was disappointed not to make a slam, which would have come in on a simple squeeze. However, the one below is where I was most disappointed: 


I somehow stumbled into 4♠, which doesn't look great, but when it went small ♥ to the A, small ♥ to the K, ♥ ruff, I now just need to bring the clubs in for 4 tricks and be able to draw trumps. I started with the ♠A, and Phil on my left played ♠. I decided I had to go for it, and drew trumps and played towards the K♣. I think this is just wrong. I should play for E to have at most two ♣s, in which case it's clearly right to cash the A♣ first, as (as actually happened at the table) there's always a chance of the Q♣ dropping singleton offside.

I'm not sure if it's right to give up the ♦ before you draw trumps. The problem is that entries become awkward if you're made to ruff a diamond before you draw the trumps (in particular, I don't think you can pick up this lay-out any more, as you need to use the ♣A to get back to dummy to draw the 4th trump). I think my line of going all out to make the contract by drawing trumps was probably right, but playing a club to the K was just careless. 

We lost the match by 7 IMPs in the end, I think, so this would have been enough for a victory. Busy week for bridge this week, with the District Pairs qualifier on Wednesday and the Stirling Pairs on Saturday, and I've just got back from playing a match against a team in Paisley. Good timing, as Jess is off to Tuscany for an epidemiology conference. 

2 comments:

  1. Did you finesse trumps?
    Why did North open the bidding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice hand. North's 1C is frisky :). If I was going to bid at all I think it would be 1S but that is an entirely different discussion.....

    Initially I was thinking of playing a Diamond BEFORE ruffing a Heart because sometimes you can find out who has the QC based on who has all the Diamond cards. Then I realized that this was wrong, if the opponents force you to ruff the 3rd round of Diamonds in your hand you can never make now when RHO has 4S's and a stiff Club. I don't think there is a solution, there is no reason why RHO can't have Qxx Clubs.

    On another note, I don't open a lot of balanced 11 counts but the South hand is a clear 1C opener.

    ReplyDelete